Ilaris (Canakinumab) is a is a biologic medicine that helps to treat the signs and symptoms of autoinflammatory syndromes. Autoinflammatory Syndromes include:
- Adult Onset Still's Disease (AOSD)
- Systemic Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (SJIA)
- Cryopyrin Associated Periodic Fever Syndromes (CAPS) including Familial Cold Autoinflammatory Syndromes (FCAS) and Muckle-Wells Syndrome (MWS)
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF)
- Hyperimmunoglobulin D Syndrome/Mevalonate Kinase Deficiency (HIDS/MKD)
- Tumor Necrosis Factor Receptor Associated Periodic Syndrome (TRAPS)
Ilaris works by blocking IL-1 (Interleukin-1), a family of signalling proteins (cytokines) that are involved in the body's immune and inflammatory response.
Ilaris is available as a subcutaneous (under the skin) injection.
It may take some time to know if Ilaris is working. Patients starting this medicine should be patient and keep taking it, and discuss any concerns with their doctor.
Important Tests and Risks
Drug Identification Number (DIN)